Elephant orphanage to wildebeest camp site ……

Day 64 –

L: Going nowhere fast…..so today we took our time getting up and I cooked breakfast – lamb sausage, egg and toast. It was a nice change.

After we had showered and sent some more laundry to get washed in the machine, we drove out to look for the botanical gardens. We got to Bongani Gardens and had a lovely walk around, but did not see many birds.




The gardens are lovely and they use empty wine bottles as a border for the flower beds and are constructing a house out of the bottles as a guest house.



After coffee we went off to find the Giraffe Centre, but decided not to go in as they wanted KSH 1 000 per person (R125) to see giraffe and tortoises. What happened to “ask your mother for sixpence to see the new giraffe……?”

S: We stopped at the Langata Botanical Gardens, no charge to enter the 5 hectare grounds and we enjoyed the walk and seeing a few birds and lots of flowers. It was lovely and green. Later we ordered lunch in the garden and had a big plate of fish (Tilapia) and chips and salad and a milkshake – all very reasonably priced and pretty good.





Baby Ashy Flycatcher



Back at the campsite, I had a nice nap in the ground tent. L: I enjoyed more bird-watching and researching those that we had seen with some help from Sue and Ian’s Birds of Africa book. I have now identified what I think is a White-browed Robin-chat, Ashy Flycatcher, Baglafecht Weaver and a Green-throated Sunbird. We have also seen a few Little Bee-Eaters and a baby Collared Sunbird. There are so many birds up here.


We chatted to Sue, Ian, and later Clive and Ann when they returned from one of the game reserves.


Clive and Ann


Clive and Ann’s epic travels


Ian and Sue

S: We decided not to have a full meal again and just enjoyed French toast (egg bread as they called it in my home).

So the visa application is at the Ethiopian Embassy in Pretoria, thanks to DHL’s speedy service, but we have not heard anything yet………

It really is nice to chill here for a while and I have even had time to watch TV and read. It is a lovely break from driving, setting up camp or maintaining the car.

So, on the political side of things here in Kenya, all seems quiet so we hope that all the drama is over and that everything will be peaceful.

Sleep tight……..

We notice that all our replies to the comments are not always getting through on WordPress, but we do see all the comments, so thank you all :-))

Day 65: Happy birthday to Tony, Margaret and little Christopher – have a super day.

L: So after spending 4 nights at Jungle Junction in Nairobi, we decided to have a change of scenery. Our friends, Ian and Sue had made the decision to go to Wildebeest Eco Camp, closer to town and we thought that we may check it out too. After Steve spending time researching other campsites and various other things that we needed to check into, I suddenly realised that we were nearing the check out time for JJ’s. Steve went up to tell Collings that we were moving on and luckily he took a while to prepare our bill as we then could pack up our site and get the tent stowed.

S: We paid the bill and then drove off to find the Elephant Orphanage called, The David Sheldrick WildlifeTrust.
There is only an hour to view the elephants, 11 am – 12 noon so we hurried down after paying our KSH 500 each (roughly R60).


L: There were scores of people and a lot of little school children too. When we arrived there were about 9 baby elephants in a roped off enclosure and a man telling us the history of each orphaned baby. They are adorable and when I saw a little one try to get under the rope, and scare all the little kids away, I moved there and got to stroke 2 or 3 of them that followed. Wow!!!! What a treat. One of the babies tried to cuddle me and I held his trunk.



You guessed it, we took hundreds of photos while they rolled in the sand, blew sand over their backs (with their trucks), played with balls and sticks and romped around with each other.






Half way through, the group was ushered out and the older group arrived. They came running and looked like they were smiling……and then we saw why – it was bottle time. Oh man, they are so cute, they wind their trunks around the bottles and then manage to hold it themselves.



We watched them for as long as we were could and then went to the centre for a pizza, yum!! Emma. We picked up some fresh veg and bread and left in search of our new home……

Down a long, twisty road, we found the Wildebeest Eco Campsite and checked in. Now Clive and Ann had come over too so we were all together again. Noreen at reception was so friendly and efficient. The cost here is KSH 1 000 ppn, but includes breakfast. The campsite is incredible with metal figures of wildebeest, bush pigs, birds and frogs and little benches and ponds. There is everything you need for camping and they have tented accommodation too.


Aging gracefully with my Zimmer frame

S: At reception, I got chatting to Rod, an ex-South African who now lives in Kericho on a tea-plantation, working on the financial side. It was good to catch up and learn a bit more about the Kenyan way.

We spent the afternoon relaxing in our peaceful green haven and Clive and Ann joined us for tea. They had to bring chairs and mugs as we have only our 2 chairs and a toilet chair (with a hole in the middle, which we can’t offer to guests). They have done so many trips that it is lovely to hear their stories and advice about various countries. Clive e-mailed us some pointers too.

Later we chatted to Sue and Ian and Rod popped by.

L: We all met up at 7pm for supper, most of us opting for the buffet which was great. A variety of meat dishes, salads with rice and roast potatoes too. The fish curry was the best. Fruit salad completed the meal and we sat over drinks while it poured. The sunshades kept most, but not all of the rain off us, poor Sue was soaked on the balcony edge.

S: Rod invited all of us to come and stay, in his guest room, if we are around the Kericho area, how nice. He lives there with his wife and two little children.

We were very apprehensive about the ground tent being waterproof, but when we got back to our site, the tent was warm and dry…………..

Categories: Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Post navigation

One thought on “Elephant orphanage to wildebeest camp site ……

  1. Hallo guys,

    I was wondering if you got you Sudan visas in Pretoria because you cannot get it at the border. Some of the travellers that were enroute the same time as we had to turn back at the border because of not having visas for Sudan.

    Lucas and Estelle is at Hartebeest Camp in Nairobi

    Kind regards,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: